Saturday, January 1, 2011

Beer Goggles

How many people scrambled to come up with a New Year’s resolution last night? I for one, did not. I decided long ago that if there was something I wanted to change, I didn’t need an “occasion” for it. This past year I have struggled with the expectations I have of the people in my life. In other words, I don’t want to have any. No matter the strength or length of the relationship, I am more often than not, let down. I am certain that I have also let my peeps down and been placed on someone’s shit list. I’m really striving to be the best me I can be and I just want to be loved for who I am, regardless of my short comings.

When I was dating I often heard and uttered the words “I just want someone to love me for who I am”. Yet it seems when it comes to dating, we become more of what we think other people will like. We’re on our best behavior, wearing our best outfits and minding our manners. We say we like food we don’t, fudge the amount of exercise we do, and tell people it’s really not weird that they enjoy eating chalk.

How wonderfully refreshing would it be to throw caution to the wind, and be 100% yourself on a date. You could show up in your sweats and favorite holey t-shirt with bra optional. Guys could show up in baggy shorts with their favorite “Mount and Dew Me” shirts, can eat with their fingers and fart whenever inspired. A dude could tell his date that he won’t be seeing her again because her boobs are too small and you saw a picture of her sister, and thought she was hotter. Gals could tell a fellow they really don’t make enough money and that Red Lobster is not a classy date. I know you’re imagining it right now and kind of giggling to yourself…I am too.

I realize this is just a mere fantasy and will never, in any way, ever be a reality. Let’s face it…with beer goggles everyone may be prettier at closing time but, the morning after is always a shock. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment